Translate

Monday, August 9, 2010

Kombucha update

I am proud to say that I have, several times now, successfully brewed my own Kombucha tea. At first I really was worried that I would end up growing some sort of lethal flesh eating fungus or mold, but so far everything has gone smoothly and I've ended up with some beautiful bottles of my very own Kombucha.


1st Batch of Kombucha!

Aren't they gorgeous! I'm so in love.
So for anyone out there who is scared of the home-brewed 'booch, I say go for it. My body is oh so much happier when I have my everyday fix.

Eventually I plan to do some experimentation with different kinds of tea and juices and stuff. For now I usually just add about 1/4 cup of grape juice in each bottle and let it sit and ferment on the counter for 2 days before putting it all in the fridge. I think it's common to do 4 days for that 2nd fermentation, but I'm too scared that the bottle might explode in my kitchen so I just do 2 days which creates plenty of fizz for me.

Kombucha 003


Kombucha 009Kombucha 006
And I can't help but mention that I actually like my home-brewed KT better than any of the store bought kind I've ever had.

For those of you who "hate" Kombucha, I have to say that I would feel the same way if I had only ever tasted some of the stuff they sell in the stores. (Some of it really does taste like feet.) Now that some brands are showing back up in stores again, I've experimented a little just out of curiosity and so far, I haven't come across anything that makes me want to stop brewing my own.

No comments: