I can finally reveal the project I've been hinting at for the last few posts!
Tada! It's my first full sized granny square blanket ever! Isn't that crazy that I've been crocheting for so long and never made a granny square blanket?! That's like Crochet 101!
(Well, I made a baby blanket for a friend a few years ago, but I don't have any pictures of that one, and it was probably pretty funky looking because I don't think I had figured out how to join them very well, yet. So like most crafters, I just pretend that the stuff that I did that sucked doesn't exist. If I can get away with it.)
Okay so, stats:
Yarn: This was a true stash busting project using various acrylic yarns that I had in my stash. Some that I have no idea at all where they came from or why I bought them. (And yes I still have A TON more stash yarn left.) The yarns that I know of are Lion Brand Wool Ease, Caron Simply Soft, and Red Heart Supersaver. The main color that all the squares were edged with is Caron One Pound. I have previously pledged once before never EVER to buy Red Heart Supersaver again, so let me just renew that little vow here and now. HATE it. And unfortunately, I still have quite a bit more left in my stash. Why did I buy it in the first place?
When I was making the ripple in the picture above I bought some Red Heart because, well, it was so cheap and the colors are so pretty, and even though I knew Red Heart is like the Vienna Sausages of yarn, I just figured that it wouldn't be all that bad. Heh. Well, it is. It's that bad. It feels like cheap carpet, it wants to "catch" on the hook while you're working with it, it actually squeaks it's so plastic. The only good thing about it is that it softens up and actually feels pretty nice after just one trip through the washer and dryer. Also it will last forever. I mean it does not die. This blanket could be found somewhere, completely intact in an empty field after a nuclear blast had removed all life from the earth. But I digress...
Size: Throw sized about 59" by 39". I wanted it to be something that could be put comfortably on the couch and not overpower everything, but be big enough to curl up under. It ended up being perfect because I used up almost every single bit of the Caron One Pound.
Joining method: Crocheted together on the back side using slip stitch. Sorry, but didn't take any pics of the back side before sending it off to it's owner.
Blocking method: Just washed it on gentle in cold water and dried it on medium. I've found that is the best way to block acrylic. Below are some pics before blocking.
Ian loved this blanket. I had a hard time keeping him out of the pictures.
I see many, many grannies in my future. But more on that next post.